Wednesday 26 November 2014

It's official.. I'm the Grinch

I always find the holidays really stressful. Especially the time leading up to the Christmas period from mid-November onward. Not because holidays are stressful, not because I’m madly planning my entire break- but because I tear my hair out over ensuring I give everyone the best present I possibly can. For me, it’s all about the presents I give… I love nothing more than the look on someone’s face when you can tell they truly appreciate what you've given them.

Let me break it down for you.

Around mid-october I start writing lists (it’s just what I do- yes I’m a HUGE list person). Lists of who I need to buy for and budgets.. I don’t know why I bother with budgets because I never stick to them but this year will hopefully be different given that we are in the process of purchasing our first home eeeeeeeek! I start with all these great ideas that seem to be suitable but slowly cross those off the list as I learn that they either a) already have them or b) wouldn’t like/ appreciate them.
I like giving gifts that are really personal, or really practical. But I dislike asking people what they want because I like to feel like I’m a magic mind-reader, or just very attentive to people’s needs and likes.

So this all happens mid-october and by mid-November I am no more organised than I was a month prior.
And then, there’s now… The “it’s almost December and I’m not even ready for Christmas” freak out.

So here’s my Christmas Gift Guide of past and present gift ideas…

Mum’s- I usually find my own Mum really easy to buy for. Mostly because she’s my mum and I know what she likes and dislikes and what she would really appreciate. Generally speaking (this doesn’t apply to all mums!) Mum’s love sentimental gifts that are personal- my specialty. In previous years I have given my Mum photos, framed pictures etc. And usually that’s a winner. Otherwise perfumes, soaps, candles, clothes, shoes etc are all a good fall back! I also love giving homey things like cushions, doona covers, etc.

This year I have a few new throw cushions I’ve created myself that are available on my Etsy store here. They are unique fabrics that you won’t see anywhere else- It’s really important to me to not give my family things that I’m sure they’ll walk into a friend’s house and see the exact same thing. And even better to give them something one-of-a-kind that they certainly won’t see in any stores and will be sure to catch the eye of any visitors to their home. What’s even better is you can guarantee products like these from any Etsy store, are not made in a production line where people are underpaid to provide us with luxurious items we don’t need. We should all do whatever we can to support our global environment and slave labour is something that I always attempt to avoid (it’s right up there with testing on animals, and sustain-ably sourcing materials).

Dad’s- Dads can be a hard one. Mine is again, pretty easy to buy for because he is into all sorts of outdoorsy stuff. This year he has just got himself a new boat so he will be getting boating gear from us (hope he doesn't read this! Haha). But otherwise most Dads are into camping gear (always useful), fishing gear, power tools, good leather wallets etc.

I usually try and buy a family gift on Christmas which would be something we can all use that day.. last year I got a Bocce set. It’s always good to get something that is fun for the whole family for the day.. and something like a bocce set comes in at around $12 from Kmart… that’s cheap entertainment in my opinion!

Boyfriends- Boys are a really hard one. I struggle with this every year. Lucky for me this year Dean has told me a few things he wants so that does take the pressure off. But again, if all else fails I’ll usually fall back on the same things as I’d give my Dad. I guess with your partner it’s all about being aware of things they need or things that they really appreciate. With Dean, a bottle of Jack Daniels is a sure winner- even if it doesn't last the day.

Sisters- I don’t have any sisters so lucky for me I don’t have to buy for them…. But I do buy for Dean’s brother’s girlfriends… Does that make sense? With these lovely ladies I would usually try to think about what they might need or have coming up in their lives.. For example, I know Matt and Amy have recently moved back into Dean’s parents place and are saving for their own house. So I might buy Amy (or both of them) some nice home things that they can put away for when that time comes. I really like getting them personal things and I absolutely love these... 



But again, I’ve left it too late this year as they would be posted from the US. I would also love to give them some art for their home, you can find some of my unique pieces also on my Etsy store here..


Mother-in-law- This is the one I struggle with the most… every year I end up fighting with my boyfriend and telling him that next year I am not thinking of the gifts and he has to do it himself because I get so stressed about the perfect present that I end up being a Christmas-zilla… or the Grinch? I love the Grinch! Anyway, over the years I’ve come up with some MIL presents that I am pretty proud of… my personal favorite is the family tree I gave her last Christmas.. It really is one of a kind and it was so easy! In-fact, I’ll give you a little step-by-step as it’s an awesome sentimental present that (I think) any Mum would love.

I started with these few things
·         A silver jewellery tree- the one I purchased was from OzSale at the time, it stands around 40cm high and around 30 wide. These ones are a bit smaller but a good price! 

·         Photo key rings (one for each family member) – I actually picked these up at K-Mart for around $1 each

·         Pretty blue and pink ribbons
·         And a photo of each family member (pets included!)

Once I had all these things I simply put the photos of the family into each key-ring, I removed the silver hook from the key ring and threaded through a pretty ribbon. I then hung them onto the silver jewellery tree in order of parents at the top and kids below… Simple… It’s a really easy and personal gift that now is a centrepiece in their home. It can easily be personalised with new family members or animals, different coloured ribbons- or if she decides she doesn’t like it anymore it can revert back to a nice jewellery tree.
I don’t have a photo of the final product but I’ll try to get one and post it later!



There are a few other people that I usually buy for but I always refer back to that backup list in the Dad section, or for quirky little gifts in places like David Jones or Myer.. This year I am going to attempt to get some home-made gifts organised.. I’ll be sure to post those once they have been delivered… I would hate for the surprises to be ruined!

Enough of Christmas.. here's some pictures of what i've been doing lately!
I went to The Rolling Stones @ Hope Estate

I've hung out with this babe!

And this cutie... so much love for Caleb 

We found out Coco is living a double life....

I hosted a Christmas Party for my staff.... 

Aaaand I made this costume for this little stunner for the Katy Perry concert.. and I also attended!

Do you have any cute DIY Christmas gift ideas? I’d love to see them!
Have you seen my Etsy Store? If not come check it out here & let me know what you think!

Take Care
-K

No comments:

Post a Comment