Saturday 13 September 2014

Roma <3

We arrived in Rome after a 5 hour train ride from Venice. 5 hours because a) the train way delayed an hour, and b) because I accidentally booked the long way round trip via Florence..... Whoooops! 

Anyway, we survived. We arrived in Rome & were kindly greeted by my cousin Chiara who pointed us in the right direction and off we headed to our apartment. I am so glad I spent countless hours researching & finding the perfect accommodation because it really is prefect. We have this great mini apartment where we have space to make our own breakfast annnnd most importantly, wash our clothes! Yay for clean clothes! Our apartment is really central, about 2 streets from one of the major Piazza's- Piazza Navona. 

So after a quick nap we headed out into the Piazza for dinner & after met up with my cousins Chiara, Simona & Simona's partner Marco. Marco was a fantastic tour guide & blew us away with his historical knowledge of Rome, we had a really nice evening looking around & taking in all of the great recommendations!

We started today at the Collosseum where we did a guided tour for €25 each. I am so glad we paid the extra it's amazing how much more you can appreciate something with a little more knowledge. We both really enjoyed the tour & learnt loads! 
I swear every dodgey scam artist picks us out of the crowd as stand-out tourists because of Dean's singlet and thongs... Haha. Could he be more Australian? Go on, say it again in Chandler's voice ;) 


After the Collossuem it was getting pretty late in the evening (as we didn't wake up until around 11am), so we wandered around the Roman Forum briefly, attempting to appreciate the historical overload that had turned our brains to mush (Ceasar who?). 

We then made our way to my very favourite place in Rome which was unfortunately shut. But never mind, we'll be visiting tomorrow :) 
The gopro does not do this building any justice- it is absolutely gigantic. (Sitting to rest my poor feet)


After a quick rest and rejuvenate we headed back out for dinner near Piazza del Popolo, and tracked via the Trevi fountain on the way back. It was so sad to see the fountain looking so dull, no water, covered in scaffolding. They had set up a tiny bath with a poster of the fountain behind for you to toss your coin. Fingers crossed it has the same effect! 

We walked back home, I've just finished soaking my feet as I have had the worst foot pain for maybe the last week... I just can't shake it and being on them all day doesn't help. I even got myself new Nikes to help with some support & no improvement :( 
If anyone has any suggestions/remedies I'd love to hear them, at this stage anything is worth a try! 

Tomorrow I think we will tick off a few more things including the Spanish steps & maybe some markets! 

Buonanotte 


No comments:

Post a Comment